York Flooring Contractors, York, PA
York, PA, known as Yorktown in the mid-eighteenth to early nineteenth centuries was founded in 1741 by settlers from the Philadelphia region and named for the English city of the same name. By 1777, most of the area residents were of German or Scots-Irish descent. It was incorporated as a borough on September 24, 1787, and as a city on January 11, 1887.
During the American Civil War, York became the largest Northern town to be occupied by the Confederate army when the division of Major General Jubal Anderson Early spent June 28–30, 1863 in and around the town. Early placed York under tribute status and collected food, supplies, clothing, shoes, and $28,000 in cash from citizens and merchants before departing westward, obeying the revised orders of Robert E. Lee.
The York Motor Car Co. built Pullman automobiles from 1905 thorough 1917. An early and unique six-wheeled prototype was involved in one of the city’s first known automobile accidents. Another model was driven to San Francisco and back to prove its reliability several years prior to the creation of the Lincoln Highway which connected New York and San Francisco.
York, PA served as the temporary base for the Continental Congress from September 30, 1777 to June 27, 1778 during the American Revolutionary War. Congress drafted and adopted the Articles of Confederation in York at the Court House that was built in 1754. It was demolished in 1841 and rebuilt in 1976 as Colonial Court House.
York styles itself the first Capital of the United States, although historians generally consider it to be the fourth capital, after Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Lancaster. The claim arises from the assertion that the Articles of Confederation was the first legal document to refer to the colonies as “the United States of America”. The argument depends on whether the Declaration of Independence would be considered a true legal document of the United States, being drafted under and in opposition to British rule. This does not, however, prevent modern businesses and organizations in the York area from using the name, such as the First Capital Dispensing Co., First Capital Engineering and First Capital Federal Credit Union.
William C. Goodridge was a prominent multiracial businessman in York, Pennsylvania, in the mid-1800s. He was a Black American abolitionist and a conductor on the Underground Railroad. Born a slave, Goodridge and his wife, Evalina Wallace Goodridge, started with a barbershop in 1827 and built a significant estate through diverse investments and enterprises, all of which they put at risk as stationmasters in the Underground Railroad.
The Goodridge house had a hand-dug hideaway under the kitchen that was discovered during renovations in the 1900s. Goodridge is believed to have hidden freedom seekers there, and also in a hideaway under the stairs in Centre Hall, before transporting them East across the Susquehanna River to Columbia or on to Philadelphia. His Reliance Line rail cars may have had secret compartments that were used to transport people to freedom; the rail depot was just a short distance North of the house.
York Flooring York PA historical places
Built in 1766, this historic structure was expanded in 1783 nearly doubling the size of the building. The meeting house is still used for regular worship.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The Gen. Horatio Gates House and Golden Plough Tavern are two connecting historic buildings which are located in downtown York, Pennsylvania. The buildings were restored between July 1961 and June 1964 and operated as a museum by the York County History Center.
The Old Strand Theater has since 2007 been the home of the Appell Center for the Performing Arts. York Flooring Contractors supports the arts. https://yorkflooringcontractors.com/